Thursday, June 17, 2010

Forecast: Widespread Dust

Scene: South Delhi, amidst construction for the Commonwealth Games


Last week, I finally set up shop in a mostly residential neighborhood in South Delhi called Safdarjung Enclave. I share a two-story apartment on the second floor of this building sandwiched between two day-care centers full of two-year old children.

I live with two Indian sisters from Agra (think Taj Majal), Pooja (27) and Teesha (22), and Teesha’s friend from college, Devika (22). It’s still quite uncommon for young professionals, particularly women, to live independently from their parents. Not surprisingly, all the youngsters escape to our place after work and on the weekends.

Here's Pooja, the mother of the house, with Mylo. He breathes loudly and eats more mangoes than me.



And a cheeky Teesha.



Monday through Saturday, I take an auto rickshaw (with this view!) to my office in Gulmohar Park, a 15-minute ride without traffic. That’s right, a six-day workweek.



PRADAN's office is on the second floor of this building.




Lucky for me, everyone shares the contents of their “tiffen boxes” (Tupperware) for communal “khanna” and snack sessions. Meet the ladies of the HR department responsible for over 400 staff who are recruited from 60 universities and colleges across India and trained through a rigorous apprenticeship and professional development program.

I’m heading out today for a week-long visit to PRADAN’s field offices in Orissa and Jharkhand and a meeting in Calcutta with PRADAN's Integrated Natural Resource Management Team. I’m looking forward to experiencing firsthand PRADAN’s models for advancing sustainable rural livelihoods and women’s empowerment in India’s poorest and most marginalized communities. Let the 22 hour train ride begin…

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels Mel. Keep the posts coming :) I love the updates, and being able to see what's going on. Every once in a while feel free to post a picture of yourself so I know you're know wasting away. Hope you're enjoying the rich culture AND food (yum)! Love and miss you. Vick

    ReplyDelete
  2. India always sounds mysterious to me. Hearing names of people and places makes it even more of an enigma. Does it feel old to be there? Hey, how does it feel to be among a civilization that goes so far back? I look forward to your postings everyday and do enjoy India.

    Winstone

    ReplyDelete